Saturday, January 29, 2011

One Man's Trash...Part II

I found this dresser at Goodwill for $35.
It was in great condition except for a few stickers. It will forever be known as the "NASA Dresser"

A few minutes of sanding, a can of paint and a roller brush and instantly I have a new dresser
**I REALLY wanted to change the knobs but for some weird reason no matter how hard we tried (and about 4 people did try) we could not get all of them off...so very weird!

This retro bookshelf was also purchased at Goodwill for $35.


I know, it's really ugly but something about it told me that it could be awesome. We have a really big wall in our bedroom that needed something and I new it would fit there perfectly!

Since it had a lot of spindles we (me and my very wonderful crafty neighbor Kathleen) thought spray paint would be the best option. Spray paint has its drawbacks...mainly it can leave streaks but trying to use a brush on this project had the potential to leave brush strokes and visible drips.

I like Krylon sprays. They come in so many colors and types and you can find it everywhere.
I chose a great plum color. It looks so amazing against our sand-colored walls. This picture really doesn't do it justice.

Here is a close-up of the color:

Kathleen also used some distressing polish which helped camouflage any streaks left by the spray paint.

Sometimes it's really hard to get past what a used piece of furniture looks like, but if you're drawn to a piece buy it! There are so many easy refurbishing options and it is so more cost effective than going out and buying something new-plus you get to say that you have a one-of-a-kind piece!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment