Friday, June 3, 2011

Strawberry-Lemon Marmalade

***Here is my disclaimer...I am NOT an canning expert. The first time I canned I not only set my stove on fire, but I gave myself and asthma attack with the fumes from the habanero peppers I was canning-true story! It's not hard to do but it is definitely a science and you really need to follow the directions carefully. This recipe DOES NOT contain all the necessary steps you need for canning your jelly. For step-by-step instructions I totally recommend this book:
You can get it where you get your canning supplies. It has great instructions on how to can and a bunch of yummy recipes too, like this one...


Strawberry-Lemon Marmalade
Yields about 7 half-pints
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced lemon peel
  • 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 2 quarts)
  • 1 package powdered pectin
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 6 cups of sugar
  • I also have a few canning supplies I find helpful. I purchased most of them together as a set:
  1. My Blue Book
  2. Bubble remover
  3. Jar lifter
  4. Magnetic Lid lifter
  5. Funnel (not pictured)
  6. Water-Bath Canner w/ Rack-purchased at Walmart for less than $20



This is how I have my stove set up when I can:

  1. The back left large stock pot has my marmalade
  2. The front left small pot has the canning lids in warm, NOT BOILING water.
  3. The large granite pot on the right is the canner w/ rack. I keep the mason jars in there in hot water while I make the marmalade and fill the jars. Once all the jars are filled I will use it to "process" the jars.

Instructions
Cover lemon peel with water; boil 5 minutes; drain. Combine lemon peel, strawberries, powdered pectin and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring slowly to a boil. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.

Bring to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.



I was able to fill 7 1/2pint jars and hardly made a mess! I'm thinking of going back to pick some more berries and try out a few more recipes. I'm definitely getting better at the whole process!

No comments:

Post a Comment