Yields about 7 half-pints
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced lemon peel
- 4 cups crushed strawberries (about 2 quarts)
- 1 package powdered pectin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 cups of sugar
- I also have a few canning supplies I find helpful. I purchased most of them together as a set:
- My Blue Book
- Bubble remover
- Jar lifter
- Magnetic Lid lifter
- Funnel (not pictured)
- Water-Bath Canner w/ Rack-purchased at Walmart for less than $20
- The back left large stock pot has my marmalade
- The front left small pot has the canning lids in warm, NOT BOILING water.
- The large granite pot on the right is the canner w/ rack. I keep the mason jars in there in hot water while I make the marmalade and fill the jars. Once all the jars are filled I will use it to "process" the jars.
Cover lemon peel with water; boil 5 minutes; drain. Combine lemon peel, strawberries, powdered pectin and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring slowly to a boil. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
Bring to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.
I was able to fill 7 1/2pint jars and hardly made a mess! I'm thinking of going back to pick some more berries and try out a few more recipes. I'm definitely getting better at the whole process!