Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Greek Gyros In Crock Pot Or Oven

I have to admit when I first saw the title of this recipe I laughed. How can you possibly make a delicious gyro in the crock pot??? I'm a huge fan of gyros, especially at all the summer carnivals, fairs and festivals, and I was a total skeptic. Despite my disbelief I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I did!!! Who knew that ground meat and Greek seasonings could make such a wonderful dish!?!?!

Thank you Prairie Lady for a family favorite!

Ingredients
The first thing you need is Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I am convinced this is the magical ingredient.
2 pounds ground hamburger
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cucumber, grated
1 small red onion, sliced
Feta cheese
1 cup plain yogurt (I prefer plain Greek)
Pita bread
1 teaspoon Dill Weed
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt
lettuce (optional)

  • First you need to prepare the meat. For every pound of meat you need to add 2-3 teaspoons of Cavender's. I tend to add more. I think the flavor is AMAZING! Mix the seasoning in the meat and form into a loaf. You want it to be the shape of your crock pot but a little smaller so that it doesn't touch the sides.
  • Cook on low for 4-5 hours. (You can also cook in the oven at 350 for 1 1/2-2 hours. I have never done it in the oven. The beauty of this recipe is that you can cook it in the crock pot!)
  • Chop the tomato, red onion, feta and lettuce. 
  • Mix the yogurt, dill weed, garlic, sugar and salt in  a small bowl. I like to make the night before if possible and refrigerate over night. 
  • When the meat is done remove from the crock pot and slice VERY THINLY. Assemble the meat and veggies in the pita bread. Top with yogurt and Feta cheese.
  • ENJOY EVERY BITE!




No comments:

Post a Comment