Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bookworm Favorites

Before I was a crafting mama and a runner girl, I was usually found with a book (or two) in hand. As our family grew larger and my time and passion became divided between a variety of other things, the reading took a back seat. I have missed my books. About a month ago I decided that no matter how busy life became I would find time each day to read, even if it was a few pages. Today I wanted to share with you a few of my favorites.

Right now I'm reading Middlesex. I'm only a few chapters into it, but I am really enjoying it. The story spans over three generations of a Greek family and their struggles in life and love.
One of my all-time favorite writers is Dean Koontz. I have been a huge fan since high school. I remember one year for Christmas my parents gave me ten of his books. I finished every single one of them before winter break was over. They are full of mystery and the supernatural. One of the things that I love best about them is that you never see the ending coming, it's usually bizarre and always a surprise. I recently finished What The Night Knows and it didn't disappoint!
In college, my friend Alyson turned me on to John Irving. His books are usually long and complex-stories woven into stories-but always great. A few of my favorite are A Prayer For Owen MeanyWidow For One Year and The Cider House Rules.

I'm not a huge fan of non-fiction. I've read a few that weren't too awful, but I really have a hard time getting into the books. I have enjoyed the "historical fiction" of Philippa Gregory and her novels about the Tudor Dynasty. The most well know is The Other Boleyn Girl. It was made into a movie and like all avid readers, I thought it wasn't as good as the book. They are a great way to get a little touch of history with a lot of deception, drama, love and the lust for power.

I also love a good series. Personally I think that a sign of a great book is one that leaves you begging for more. A series allows the characters to stay with you and you get to watch them grow.

I've read all the Twilight books and I totally heart Harry Potter, but my absolute FAVORITE is the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. My hubby introduced me to these books when we first started dating and I was reluctant at first, but I am so glad he changed my mind. There are seven books in the series that were written over the span of 22 years. They are unlike any book written by Stephen King. You follow Roland, the gunslinger, as he travels through a variety of times and places in search of the Dark Tower.
If you are looking for a great pool-side/beach series than Lucy Hatch is your girl! I came across The Second Coming Of Lucy Hatch by accident and I am so glad I did. It's a quick read and definitely leaves you wanting for more. A recently divorced Lucy returns to her country hometown and falls for the local bad boy Ash. There's nothing better that a juicy love story!
When I was in junior high I read every single one of the Nancy Drew books. In order. I couldn't get enough of all the little mysteries and tried to solve them before Nancy. Sue Grafton's series about private-investigator Kinsey Millhone are the grown-up equivalent to Nancy Drew. The first book is A Is For Alibi and she is currently up to V.  I have no idea if the series will end at Z, but it makes me sad to think that there may come a point when Kinsey has helped her last client!

So that's just a few of my favorites. I seriously could go on and on about books that I love. When it comes down to it, I love books!

What are your favorite books? I'm always looking for my next good read!

2 comments:

  1. Have you read The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo? If not, I'll send them your way! I'm on the third book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbroken was an amazing book!! Highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete