Thursday, July 21, 2011

Drink Week-Chai Iced Tea



I know it's saying a lot, but I think this is my favorite "Drink Week" drink!

I L-O-V-E, love Chai Iced Tea, but why does it have to be so expensive?!?! The powder packets never taste as good and are just as costly as the high-end coffee shops. When I saw this recipe at A Cozy Kitchen I got super excited and I was not disappointed. This tastes EXACTLY like the coffee shop chai teas. I could have consumed a whole gallon of it, but then would be awake for days! (I also think it would taste just as wonderful with decaffeinated tea and low-fat condensed milk if you prefer.) It's a perfect drink for a hot summer day when you need a little pick-me-up!

Ingredients
  • 1 star anise (**I went EVERYWHERE for this little starry spice and the only place that had it was Whole Foods. It was in their bulk bins and I got 10 for a $1. Just grab a bunch, you'll totally be making this drink again and again.)
  • 14 cloves
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 12 peppercorns
  • 4 cardamom pods, opened (I could only find the pods at Whole Foods, but I think the cardamom seeds would work as well. Essentially you are opening the pods and putting the seeds in the spice mixture)
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 tablespoons of strong black tea
  • 4 1/2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (you should have some left over from the Brazilian Lemonade earlier this week)


In a medium saucepan, add spices (NOT THE TEA) to two cups of water. Bring to a boil; remove from heat; let steep for 5-20 minutes depending on how strong a spice flavor you want.

Add the sweetened condensed milk to the water/spice mixture. Bring the milk and spice mixture just to a boil and removed from heat.

Add the tea to the milk and let steep for 5 to 10 minutes to taste. (You can also reheat to a simmer and remove from heat...this is totally optional)

Strain into a pitcher and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until cool. Serve over ice.

So wonderfully spicy and refreshing at the same time!

1 comment: