Monday, February 25, 2013

The Long Run Diaries - Week 10

Any runner will tell you that you have good runs and bad runs and distance isn't always the factor. Some days 3 miles can seem like 30 and somedays, like yesterday for me, 17 can feel (sorta) like 7!

Week 10
17.19 miles
3:02:12
10:36 pace

Yesterday's run was amazing! Not only because it's the furtherest I've ever ran, but because it was the furthest I've ever ran and I felt great afterwards! I felt strong, even sprinted at the end, and honestly felt like I could run 20. Seriously, it was a great motivator for the things to come. Again, I felt "I can do this!" and let's be honest, I need all the positive reinforcement I can get. The full race is going to add another 2 hours to that 3 and that my friends is A LOT of running!

Traci and I ran on the Monon Trail and her friend Christy, who is also running the marathon, joined us. It's so nice to have other people join us. It gives us new stories to hear and another person talking so we get to take a break every once in awhile. Our plan was to walk every 4 miles, eat a little and drink some water. It worked out great. Often we were surprised that it was time for a break. Another great thing about the Monon is that it's mostly flat. It's nice to have a flat long run. 

Again, I worked hard on my nutrition this week, making sure the meals I ate on Friday were full of protein and fuel and the Saturday meals were light so that they didn't sit heavy in my belly. I also drank lots of water on Saturday which I definitely think helped. I didn't need as much water on our run. During the run I ate 3 Honey Stinger Waffles (YUM!) and made sure to take my Hammer's Electrolytes. Having my inhaler with me also helped. I've have a few cold weather runs where I forgot it making for an unpleasant run! We were blessed with a wind-free morning which also makes for more pleasantness! All in all a good run and I even stayed pretty perky for most of the day and was also headache-free. The hubby said he's noticed that my "crash" seems to be happening later and later. It was around dinner time when the exhaustion hit and I was in bed by 8:30, but at least I didn't fall asleep at the dinner table!

This week the mid-week mileage AND the long run mileage increases-OY VEY! Hopefully the runner's high I got from yesterday's run will stay with me all week!


1 comment:

  1. Great job on your first 17 miler! I love the Monon and I love the long runs too. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete