Friday, January 11, 2013

The quest to 26.2

In a moment of insanity in mid-December I decided to run my first* marathon...even as I type this I can tell that I'm going to be hooked...I didn't say "a marathon"...I said "first"...implying that there will be more...

The notion of running 26.2 miles was always a fleeting thought that would quickly disappear. It's a big commitment, it's more than just running far. It requires discipline to stick to your training schedule. You need to rearrange your priorities. Schedules need to be adjusted. You need to alter your diet, no one is going to run 26.2 miles on Diet Coke and wine! You need a team of supporters. Not just people to cheer you on, but a hubby who is willing to give up sleeping in on Sundays so you can run 20 miles, a baby who will spend most of his winter mornings strapped into a jogging stroller, friends who understand why you have given up wine while training and a family who is willing to take on the marathon with you. It takes more than you, it takes a team!

After talking it over with the hubby and getting his support, I needed to find a training program that would fit into our lives. I've been a fan of the Hal Higdon training programs and had used several of them for my half-marathon training in the past. After checking them out I decided to go with Novice 2. It has me running 4 days a week, cross training1-2xs and resting 1-2days. It fits into my kids' schedules well and the mid-week runs don't get past 8 miles which is doable with a jogging stroller. I'm trying not to look too far ahead in the schedule. I'm just trying to take it one week at at time. I know if I focus too much on the huge milage ahead of me I'll just freak out. A marathon is so much more than being fit and running. Your mental health is equally important as your physical health. 

Yesterday GG and I had our first run with the jogging stroller. I think he liked it! He even took a nice long nap for most of the run. 
We only had to do 6, so it wasn't terrible. He's so light right now that maneuvering the stroller is pretty easy. The worse part was the headwind on the way home. There were times that I was sure even though my feet were moving, we weren't really going anywhere. It was nice not to have to carry everything. The stroller has lots of pockets for water, iPhones and other running necessities. 

You also may have noticed that I updated my Dailymile widget. Now there's a place for you to comment on my runs or leave encouragement. I REALLY hope you use it! I'm sure as it gets closer to race day I'm going to need lots of encouragement. I try not to think about how far 26.2 miles really is or how I'm going to be running for 5 hours, but sometimes (like right now) those thoughts creep in and I need to adjust how I look at it all. The next big step is working on proper nutrition both while in training and during the actual race. For my past races I never really thought about or care about my nutrition. Some days I would go out for a run on an empty stomach, other days I'd have a Diet Coke and go. There is such a science to finding the right fuel for your body. I'm not trying to be fast, but I want to enjoy the experience as much as possible.

My Bestie and running partner Traci is running the race and training with me (actually it's her fault we're running...she signed up first). This will be her second marathon (they really are addicting). I'm so thankful she agreed to run with me. There is NO way I'd get through all the training without her by my side. You need someone to support you and commiserate with you. I've given us the unofficial team name "Misery Loves Company." Let's be honest, there are going to be times in the next 4 months that it is going to be miserable. There are going to be bad runs, sore muscles and mental break downs, but there will be great days too. Days of strong runs and feelings of "I can do this!" I'm going to try really hard to focus on the good days, and when we cross the finish line, hand in hand, there will be no better feeling of accomplishment!

This Sunday is our 11 mile "long-run"...it'll be a walk in the park compared to what's coming!
Hee, hee, hee

Have a great Friday,



No comments:

Post a Comment