Saturday, January 19, 2013

Muesli

As I've mentioned several times, I REALLY trying to focus on my nutrition for my upcoming Marathon in April. You know I'm serious because it has been 6 days since I've had a glass of wine! That's how dedicated I am.

One of my new, "athlete friendly" cookbooks is this one:
It's full of flavorful recipes that are easy to make and don't require many ingredients. I love that it's broken down into different sections based on how athletes workout. There is a section for pre-work out food, another for take-along or handheld dishes and a ton of post-workout recipes to aid in your recovery. Most of the recipes are high in calories, fat and carbs, but anyone who is an endurance athlete needs those types of meals. Those not in training could easily cut down the portion size and have a great, healthy meal.

The first recipe I tried was Muesli. I had never heard of it, but I liked that I could make it the night before and pop it in the fridge. It's all ready to go the next day. Perfect for those early morning long runs. It makes two servings so there's some leftover for a post-run recovery snack. It's high in calories and fat, but omitting the walnuts would decrease both considerably and I don't think you'd miss them. I was surprised that the apples stayed crispy, and by how much I liked it. Lo loved it too and just like that, my other serving had disappeared! I tried it for breakfast one morning before a 6 mile run (I gave it a full 2 hours to digest) and I had no issues while running. No nausea or cramping or feeling of heaviness in my stomach. So much better for me than my usual pre-run Diet Coke!

Muesli
Servings: 2
Time: 10 minutes, store overnight.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup "old-fashioned" rolled oats
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 yogurt (I used plain greek yogurt, but whatever you have would work)
  • 1 small apple, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • sprinkle of ground cinnamon
Additional additions* (*these are not included in the nutritional information)
  • 2T honey or maple syrup
  • 1 mashed ripe banana
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • fresh fruit

Combine all ingredients (including any optional additions) in a medium bowl. Mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl and store in the fridge overnight. 

Per serving:
Energy 479cal 
Fat 15g
Sodium 79mg
Carbs 76g
Fiber 10g
Protein 19g


No comments:

Post a Comment