Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Long Run Diaries-Week 5

Today is it almost 40 degrees colder than it was yesterday. I am so glad Traci and I decided to do our long run yesterday afternoon!!! Not only did we not have to run in freezing cold wind, but I got to sleep-in on a Sunday for the first time in many, many months! The girls were so good. I asked them not to come out of their rooms until 8 and they actually listened! Even GG slept in past 8 today. Lucky me!

The stats:
12.31miles
2:07:36
10:21 pace

I work Saturday mornings so we had to run later in the day. This is not something I like to do or do very often. I feel like I perform better first thing in the morning and have less problems. Since there was no way to avoid the afternoon run I thought a lot about my diet. For breakfast I went to Subway and had a flatbread egg sandwich. As a "treat" I even got the "real" eggs and added bacon-so good! For lunch I had a bowl of Muesli and about 30 minutes before we left I had a Gatorade Prime. I thought I was good to go. Unfortunately for most of our run my stomach felt heavy and crampy. While it didn't seem to slow my down, it did make for an unpleasant run. I'm still not sure what the problem was exactly, but hopefully we won't have too many late day runs.

The run itself went pretty well. It was VERY windy and our first 6 miles were against the wind so it felt like we were going very S-L-O-W and it was cold. They way home was much more pleasant and we even picked up the pace a bit. I didn't feel as good after as I did last week, but I still felt pretty strong and didn't have too many aches or pains.

My recovery is still an issue. I felt extremely exhausted after. I made sure I ate a good recovery meal right when I got home and avoided a heavy dinner and even skipped the wine. My stomach felt better than last week, but I think the tiredness was worse. I barely made it to 8:30! The hubby thinks I'm not eating enough, but I suspect it has nothing to do with running more to do with my other responsibilities and trying to juggle being a mommy, a wife and a marathon runner. I just hoping the eventually my body adapts and I don't feel so awful afterwards. 
Just keep running. Just keep running. Just keep running, running, running!

Have a wonderful Sunday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment