Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bedside Table Reveal

Remember my super-duper AWESOME deal I got at Goodwill last week?

This is what they looked like before I got my hands on them.
I knew I wanted them to be a pop of color in our bedroom. We had already used purple for our Goodwill retro bookshelf so I thought green would be great. I chose Grape Leaves by BEHR from Home Depot. It's a shade of green that is in the same green family as our comforter without being too matchy-matchy. 

Because I despise sanding I used my boyfriend, Zinsser Primer.

Using a high density foam roller, I applied two coats of paint.
I wanted the dressers to be painted without looking painted. I used my Martha Stewart metallic glaze to give the piece a distressed look. Using a brush, I applied a layer of the metallic glaze to a small portion of the table. 
Then I used a cloth diaper (a cotton t-shirt would work well too) and wiped off the excess. Remember that you can always add more distressing but it's really hard to un-distress a piece! For an even more distressed look you can use sandpaper on the edges and corners before using the glaze.

Once I had the distressing at the level I wanted I used Annie Sloan wax (the same wax used on our barstools) to protect the tables. Not only did I want them to be beautiful, which they are, but I don't want to be afraid to use them. Annie's wax fulfills both goals. I won't have to be worried that the tables will be scratched by a cell phone or ruined by a water glass without a coaster. Thanks Annie! You rock!
They are the perfect addition to our bedroom. A nice pop of color without being too overwhelming. 
Total cost for BOTH tables: $35 (this does not include the glaze or wax that I already had. I used about 2 tablespoons of each. A little goes a LONG way!) 


Linked up to Thrifty Decor Chick's Before and After Party


  1. I bought a $35 red wine colored chandelier make from a composite material & a $6 jar of Martha's muscovado metallic glaze. I cleaned the chandelier and then painted it with 2 coats of Sherwin Williams blue-gray paint left over from painting my bedroom walls. After letting the blue dry, I began the adventure. First I used a sponge brush and rubbed off excess with a soft cloth. I thought this a little time consuming; so, I just dipped the the cloth along the edge of the jar so as not to get too much glaze on it. Then I simply "rubbed" the glaze on until I got the desired results. It is now hanging in my dining room (which has blue linen chair fabric). It looks like a $400 chandelier now. I'm getting ready to experiment again by simply applinng the glaze in the same over light painted furniture found at thrift shops. Hope this encouraged others to share their ideas as you encouraged me. busyc