Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pam's Artichoke Salad

I first had this rice salad at a neighborhood pitch-in a few years ago. I promptly plopped myself at the buffet table and proceeded to eat plateful after plateful...after plateful! It is SO good! I have no idea who Pam is, but I do know that she makes a wonderful dish! (I do think the name is a little misleading because I think it is more a curry rice salad). 

The truth is, no matter what you call it, if you make it, you will be the hit of the party!

Ingredients

  • 1 box of Chicken Rice-a-Roni
  • 2 6oz jars oil packed artichoke hearts (reserve the oil)
  • 1 can of Chickpeas (drained)
  • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2c slivered almonds
  • 5 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1/2c dried cranberries
  • 1/2c mayonnaise
  • 2T fresh lemon juice
  • 1T curry powder
  • 1t salt
Directions
  • Cook rice according to package directions. When it is done, transfer to a sheet pan and spread it out so that it can cool
  • Place artichoke hearts, Chickpeas, bell pepper, scallions, almonds and cranberries in a large bowl. Add the cooled rice and toss to combine.
  • In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, reserved artichoke oil, lemon juice, curry powder and salt. Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and fold to combine.
  • Refrigerate up to 12 hours
  • Tastes wonderful at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment