Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Homemade Ravioli

I'm note sure where the original recipe came from...I've made these so many times that I keep it all in my head. When made ahead and frozen the ravioli can be ready in 5 minutes. I like to make a large batch over the weekend and then freeze them. Just as quick as the drive through, but much healthier!

You will need:
Wonton Wrappers
(They are usually in the produce area of the grocery store. Typically in the organic section)

















Your filling
Some many different choices for fillings...cheese, meat, sweet potato. I used what I had on hand:
  • Low fat ricotta (15oz)
  • Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese (a few handfuls of each)
  • Chopped fresh spinach (about a handful)
  • Freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1 beaten egg (for binding it all together)

Directions: 
Line baking sheet with wax paper, freezer paper or parchment paper

Place wontons on baking sheet without touching each other
Take about 1 tablespoon of your filling and put it in the center of each wonton wrapper.
Dip your finger in water and wet the perimeter of each wonton wrapper (the water is what will allow the two wrappers to stick to each other). Place another wrapper on top and gently press the edges together. Be careful to keep the filling in the middle, you don't want it coming out when you boil the pasta.

**If you want to freeze your pasta put the whole sheet in the freezer for about an hour. Then transfer frozen pasta to a freezer bag**

Continue making your ravioli until all wrappers have been used. I was able to get 24 ravioli from my package of wonton wrappers.

To cook the ravioli boil them in water for 2-3 minutes (approximately 5 minutes if frozen). Be careful not to crowded them in the water or they can stick to each other.

In a separate pan melt butter and infuse with your favorite Italian seasonings. I used a mixture of basil, oregano and parsley. Pour butter sauce over ravioli and enjoy!

1 comment: