Friday, August 10, 2012

Quinoa Taboule

So I've heard a lot about how great Quinoa is for you...low in cholesterol, high in protein, lots of essential amino acids...but to me that means it probably taste G-R-O-S-E. I'm not a huge fan of grains, oats, rice, etc (Have you tried steel cut oats?!?! How anyone can eat more than one bite is beyond me!!!), BUT I am trying to lose my baby-weight and get back in shape so I thought I'd search for a recipe that not only would be good for me, but would also taste good. I was pleasantly surprised to find several recipes that had promise. I tried two of them this week and what do you know! They were fab-u-lous! This one is great because it has a lot of flavor, can be served cold or room temperature and it makes A LOT! I didn't have to go too far to find it, it was right on the side of my quinoa package. The girls didn't care for it, but that just meant there was more for me and the hubby to eat. Serve it with a side of veggies and hummus and you've got a healthy and filling meal.

  • 2 cups cooked and cooled Quinoa
  • 1 cup chopped Parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped Scallions
  • 2T chopped fresh mint (or 1t dried)
  • 1 Garlic Clove, minced or pressed
  • 1T minced fresh Basil (or 1/2t dried)
  • 1/2 cup fresh Lemon Juice (Personally I think this was too much, I'd add a little at a time and taste as you go.)
  • 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/8t ground White Pepper
  • I also added, seeded cucumber and chopped tomatoes, amounts to your liking
Toss together all ingredients. Chill for 1 hour or more to allow flavors to blend. Makes 6 servings.

Enjoy!

Do you have any quinoa recipes you'd like to share? Send 'em my way I certainly could use more than two!!!

Happy Friday, 

No comments:

Post a Comment