Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Homemade Moon Sand

As much as I L-O-V-E, love to be crafty and I am not a fan of messy crafts. I hate play-dough, cringe when my child brings home sand-art or glittery pictures from school and we rarely paint. My idea of crafty fun tends to be less messy.

A long time ago, before I had kids, I sent my good friend Amy's son Moon Sand for his birthday. I don't think she's ever forgiven me and who can blame her. Clearly the person who invited it didn't have children and hated moms. It's sticky, sandy and you find it everywhere for days years after it's been put away!

At the end of the school year Lo's class made their own Moon Sand and she came home with a little zip-lock bag filled with her share. She was so excited that she made it, and was pleasantly surprised I let her keep it. She carefully kept it outside and made sure she put it in the bag after playing with it. All was going well until she let her sister have a turn. With in 2 seconds the entire bag of Moon Sand was gone, lost in the cracks and crevices in our screened porch. To say Lo was devastated is putting it mildly (she's a bit of a drama queen), her precious sand was g-o-n-e, gone. Apparently this ridiculous heat caused me to lose my mind, because I said "yes" when the girls asked if we could make our own!

Are you brave enough to make your own?!?!

Here's what you need:

  • 9 cups of flour
  • 1 1/2 cups of baby oil
  • You can also add 1/8 cup of Powdered Tempera Paint per 3 cups of moon sand for colored moon sand if you're feeling especially adventurous. We skipped that step, I think powdered paint would have sent me over the edge.

Put your ingredients into a large container





Then get ready to get dirty and mix everything up together



Add more Baby Oil if needed. You'll know you have enough and everything is mixed well when your sand looks like this:
This was by far a HUGE hit with the girls and the "recipe" makes enough for lots of playtime fun. I definitely recommend keeping it outside and in an area that can be hosed off because it is EVERYWHERE. The girls have played with it everyday since we made it and personally I think the mess is worth the smile on their faces!


No comments:

Post a Comment