Friday, January 27, 2012

Updated Outlet Cover Tutorial

I am s-l-o-w-l-y working on finishing the yellow room. The hubby had to take off all the outlet covers to paint. I thought it would be a good idea to update them. They were so gross and BOR-ing! After a little Googling I found {THIS} tutorial, it was the perfect solution to my problem. 

These outlet covers are not only super easy to make, but super cheap too! I covered 6 outlet plates for under a dollar-you can't even buy one new cover for a dollar. All I needed to buy was the paper, all the other supplies I already had on hand. 

Here's all you need:

  • Mod Podge
  • Pretty scrapbook paper
  • Old outlet covers
  • Exacto knife
  • Coordinating paint










Start by tracing your outlet covers onto the back of the pretty paper.
Use the exacto knife to carefully cut it out.
Mark where the screws are going to go and gently poke a small hole with the exacto knife.
Using a foam brush, paint a layer of Mod Podge on the top of the outlet cover and the back of the pretty paper.
Place the pretty paper on top of the outlet cover and gently press out all the air bubbles. Once it is dry you can paint the edges of your outlet cover with paint. This will hide the seams. I also painted the top of the screws to match.
Once the paint is dry cover the outlet cover in several thin coats of Mod Podge. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying the next. 
I LOVE the finished product!!! 
I can't wait to start transforming all the other outlets in our house!

Happy re-covering!



1 comment:

  1. Paint plastic outlet and change spread to coordinate the dividers by evacuating them. Start to expose the plastic with sandpaper, and prepare. Paint over the surface with a similar shade of the divider, or utilize craftsman's brushes to make a surface or structure.

    ReplyDelete