Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spoon Garden Markers Tutorial

Last year we planted our very first garden. It was a very exciting project for all of us! Surprisingly for our first go-around we had much success. We learned quite a bit and are eagerly waiting for the warmer weather to plant our seeds and plants.

I did however forget one important step last year. Plant markers. Oh sure, they crossed my mind, but the amateur gardener in me thought they were unnecessary. I realized their importance as we waited for several "mystery" plants to grow. All summer I was waiting for my eggplant to grow only to find that what I thought was eggplant was really a Roma tomato plant...and I never did find the eggplants!

This year we are prepared and I can't wait to put our new plant markers in our garden.

What makes this project so great is that there are so many ways to do it so you can make it your own.

I really like {THIS} stamped version, but I didn't have all the supplies at home. As you all know, there is NO WAY I'm taking two kids to the craft store unless absolutely necessary. I really liked how she used forks and knives too! I may have to pick up a stamping kit next time we make a trip to Hobby Lobby!

For those interested in making this a kid-friendly project check out {THIS} tutorial.

For a twist make {THESE} with wooden spoons.

See! So many different variations. I used the tutorial {HERE} for my spoons. I liked the handmade drawings and had everything (except the spoons) in my crafty closet.

Here's what you need:

  • Spoons-Mine came from Goodwill and they were the only thing I had to purchase. They were $0.20 each.
  • Mod Podge
  • Paper, crayons, pens, old magazines...whatever you are planning to use on the spoon
  • Waterproof sealer-I used a Mod Podge spray, but you could use Polyurethane as well



First draw your pictures. I liked how mine aren't perfect. Sometimes it's fun to color outside the lines!

Instead of cutting them out, I ripped around the pictures giving them a more detailed edge. Before gluing them on I placed them on the spoon to make sure they all fit.
Place a little bit of the Modge Podge on the spoon and the back of the picture. Put the picture onto the spoon. Use your finger to smooth out any bubbles.
Brush a thin coat of Mod Podge over the picture and spoon. I think it's better to do more thinner layers than one thick one. It dries much quicker with the thinner layers.
Repeat until all pictures are glued on.
Once the spoons are completely dry. Spray or paint on your protective waterproof coating.
Let dry. Repeat waterproof coating if needed.

Display in your garden for all to see!

They make great gifts too! Wrap them up and attach a matching seed packet for your favorite gardener!

***DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE 100 DAYS GIVEAWAY! CLICK {HERE} FOR DETAILS

No comments:

Post a Comment