Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cilantro Lime White Bean Hummus Soup

Ummm what a seriously LONG name for a super easy soup!

For those of you that know me well you are probably wondering why I even thought of making this soup...For those who don't know me... you need to understand that I have a very weird aversion to beans (and turtlenecks too...but that's a WHOLE other story for another day). Anyways....While I don't like whole beans, I'm okay with ones that are no longer in their bean form. I know weird, but just go with it. It's just one of my many quirks that you are going to have to accept.

This soup also has cilantro in it-one of my most favorite herbs so I knew it would be De-lish and it totally was!

Big "THANK YOU" to Keep It Simple Foods for their simple, yet yummy recipe.

Here is what you need:

  • 3T EVOO
  • 1/3 cup onions (I only had shallots so I tossed those in instead)
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 15oz cans of Cannellini Beans
  • 2 whole limes, zest and juice
  • 2 cups vegetable stock (Chicken Stock would be fine too)
  • 1 bunch Cilantro, roughly chopped
Directions

In a large stock pot, on medium high heat, combine the oil, onion, and garlic. When onions and garlic cook down a bit, add the beans and lime zest. Cook for another minute or two. Next add the veggie stock. Then add in the cilantro and lime juice.

Cover with a lid and bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Use an immersion blender (or blend in batches in your "regular" blender) until creamy and smooth (those with bean phobia are free to pick out any beans that somehow did not get blended. You KNOW I didn't skip that step!). Season to taste and garnish with lime wedge and cilantro.

Enjoy!

I LOVED this soup! I love that it is creamy without one drop of cream or milk in it. I served ours with toasted pita bread which my 3-year-old loved. They were great for dipping. Perfect soup for a cold rainy day or any other day you're in a soupy mood! 

*You could also blend the beans, cilantro, garlic, lime zest, and lime juice in a food processor until smooth and then add about 1/3 a cup of EVOO while the processor is running until well blended to make a great white bean hummus dip. 

Two great recipes for the price of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment