Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Yellow Room Breakdown Day 5-Dresser #2

We're nearing the end of the breakdown. Tomorrow we'll complete the room and then I have some great Easter crafts to share.

I was pretty excited to find this dresser on Craigslist. I was even more excited when I saw it in person. It is super sturdy and the drawers work perfectly. No wobbles or sticking. They were selling it for $25 which was a great deal for me. The girls loved the painted flowers, but you know me. There was no way this baby was going to stay as is!
The color I chose was found in the "mistake" section at Home Depot. Sadly I have no idea what the name of the color is (my crafty and knowledgable friend Kathleen said that is is very similar to Mermaid Net by Behr). Of course it ended up being my favorite color. It's a semi-gloss which isn't usually my first choice of finishes, but it went on so smoothly and in the end didn't need to be distressed or sealed with wax. 
The hardware was a bit tricky. As usual I didn't want to spend more money replacing it than the actual cost of the dresser. I had an idea. I wasn't sure it would work, but if it did it would save me tons of money! 

The top drawer originally had a knob. I purchased this beautiful flower drawer pull at Hobby Lobby (50% off) for $3. The girls love the jewels.
The remaining drawer pulls were made of wood and very outdated (Sorry, I forgot to take a "before" picture). I thought I'd try spray painting them to see how they looked. The result was better than I could have imagined!!! You can't even tell that they were wood, they actual look metal! I used Krylon brushed metal spray paint in nickel. So pretty and shiny!

To tie in the silver look I used metallic paint on the arch at the bottom of the dresser. It gives it a little pop without too much bling!
I had this cute flower photo holder in our garage waiting for a purpose. I sprayed it with the metallic to match the drawer pulls. 
This cute little basket was $0.40 at Goodwill. It's a cute little piece to hold jewelry or other little treasures that Noa has found.
We love this dresser. It's perfect for socks, undies and there is even a drawer full of purses for our little diva. I like that it's heavy and sturdy. It was made for the spot between the door and the closet. 

Thanks for checking in today! We're off to enjoy another day of record heat in Indy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment