Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Yellow Room Breakdown Day 1-The Inspiration

Today is our first day of the Yellow Room breakdown. I'm going to start with the area that consists of the inspiration for the room. It has the majority of the pieces that came from NoJo's old room.

The colors I chose for the walls and furniture were inspired by the bedspread. It was originally purchased from Pottery Barn Kids (on clearance). I pulled the green from the leaves on the flowers. The beautiful canvas was a steal from Tuesday Morning awhile back. I think I purchased it for under $35! It was the perfect addition for over the bed. It coordinates perfectly without being too over the top. It's also something that she won't outgrow too quickly. The bed was a Craigslist buy. It was $30 for the metal bed frame and the mattress. It doesn't have a trundle but that's fine with me because it has a TON of room for storage underneath! We are planning on using plastic bins to hold all of her dolls, accessories and barbies. She can pull them out to play and then just tuck them back in when she is done.

The bedside table has been sitting in my kitchen for months. I purchased it at Goodwill for $3. At the time I had no idea what I was going to use it for, but it was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up. It makes the perfect side table. It's high so it's not hidden by the bed and it's small so it tucked in the corner easily. I painted it in the same color as the desk-Behr paint in Disney's "Fairest Of Them All" and then distressed and sealed with Annie Sloan wax.

I chose more of a heavier distressing for this piece. I wanted it to coordinate with the desk, but no look like they came from a matching set. 

The nightlight lamp was one of the few items that I purchased new. It was $14.99 on sale at Meijer. We didn't have any lamps to use from the old room. I love that this light isn't very bright. It gives a nice soft glow which is perfect for the mornings. It doesn't give a blast of light first thing, but gives enough light so you can see what you are doing.

We have what I like to call a stuffed animal problem. Not only do we have a TON of them, but my girls actually play with all of them. I'm starting to feel like we live in a stuffed animal zoo! This bookshelf was a Christmas present a few years ago from Santa. I'm pretty sure he purchased it unfinished at Michael's with his 40% off coupon. He then painted it to match the nursery-that Santa, so very thoughtful! 
Lucky for me the soft greens he used worked well in our room! All I had to do was hang it up! In the end I didn't even have to do that...my wonderful neighbor came over with his power drill, stud finder and crafty wife and they put it up for me! We he just made sure it was secured in the studs. NoJo is somewhat of a monkey and I didn't want her pulling it down and rip huge holes in the walls. It's the perfect spot for all her little friends and keeps the bookshelf off the floor giving her more space to play. As a bonus it saved me from having to find something to hang on the wall.

That's day one for today! Tomorrow I'll be sharing my favorite "new" piece I found for the room! Have a wonderful, and hopefully sunny, Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment