Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Yellow Room Breakdown Day 2-The Green Dresser

Oooooo the green dresser is my absolute favorite piece in the room. It was a Goodwill find (shocker I know!) and not only was it in excellent condition (all the drawers worked and no wobbles to speak of), but it was a STEAL at $35! I seriously can't believe it was still there. I'm pretty sure I pushed two old ladies and a stroller out of my way to pull the tag-I wasn't going to see this baby go home with anyone else!

Here is what it looked like before:
...and here's what she looks like today in all her glory!
I love, love, LOVE her!

As usual I started with a coat of Zinsser Primer-I love that stuff. One can lasts forever and it really does prime your pieces well without having to sand them. I will never use anything else. I don't think it's possible for anything to work better! The paint is Behr Premium Plus Ultra (eggshell) in Botanical Green. It's so bright and springy! The ultra covers really well so it only needed two coats. Using my sanding block I really distressed it. I wanted it to look beat up, but in a pretty way. Once I had the distressing how I wanted it I used a new product, Mylands Antique Brown Wax. I purchased it from Amazon with a gift card. It got great reviews and I thought it would be worth a try. It doesn't go on as smooth as my Annie Sloan wax, but I was pleased with the results. It also took very little wax. I barely touched it with my cloth, the can is going to last me a lifetime! Once I had the antiquing to my liking I sealed the whole piece with my beloved Annie Sloan clear wax. I am beyond pleased with the final results!!!




Another awesome thing was that I was able to use the original hardware. You can end up spending more on the hardware than the actual dresser sometimes. I loved the look, but did not love the color. First I painted them with Martha Stewart Metallic Paint and then used a rag to apply a coat of Martha Stewart Metallic Glaze in Black Coffee. That saved me a TON on money and they look fab-u-lous!

The dresser also had two additional bonuses that made it even more amazing. The top drawer has a cute little nook for her jewelry. Someday she'll be tall enough to reach it!
One of the middle drawers has this great divider. Now she has a section for her long sleeve shirts and one for her short sleeve shirts.
To finish off the look I added a mirror we had in our closet and another brand new light from Meijer.
Ahhhh perfection!

Thanks for checking in. Tomorrow continues our breakdown of the Yellow Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment