Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best Of 2011 #4 and One Of My Favorite Projects

So this week we are counting down to the top posts of 2011. Today I'm also sharing one of my favorite projects.

Number four is another spray painting project. I love the instant gratification that spray paint provides, but it can also be a very frustrating medium since weather conditions need to be pretty good for it to be effective. Since at times I'm not very patient I've tried spraying in gusting wind and either too cold or too hot temperatures...neither worked out very well. My chalkboard spray paint is one of my favorites. It dries super quick and you can use it on pretty much anything. It looks like it's also one of your favorite too!

Best of 2011 #4

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While it's almost near impossible to pick my most favorite project of this year, I think the Super Easy Window Cornices are the most dramatic. They look custom made and no one would ever know that they are made from foam boards. Another bonus is that you don't need much in the way of supplies. It's a quick project that will transform a room without spending a lot of money. 

Super Easy Window Cornice



For a while now I've been wanting to make window cornices for our family room, but I really didn't want to use wood...that's just too much for me. Then you'd need nails, a hammer and most likely a saw of some sort AND someone to help you hang the darn thing. So I did what I always do...I googled it and found this great project that doesn't require sewing OR any sort of handy work! It was perfect for me!

I built my cornices with foam and a glue-gun...no joke that is all it took! The best part is that they are easy to re-do so when I get bored with the fabric I chose I can take them down and easily change it!

The detailed instructions can be found on the DIY Network website and the supplies were purchased at Lowes, Hobby Lobby and Jo-ann Fabric.

You will need "L" brackets and foam insulation (both can be found at Lowes):
**Lowes was the ONLY place that I found insulation that was cut in usable panels (like in the picture above) instead of one HUGE 4ftx8ft sheet. The sheet insulation will work but it involves much more cutting and is really hard to fit in your car**


You will also need U Pins that are easy to find at your local craft store:

The fabric and cotton batting were both purchased at Jo-ann Fabric and Craft Store. The fabric I chose is from the home decor section but a cotton print would work well too.

**My only alteration to the original instructions is this: Pin the batting and fabric separately. The first time I followed the instructions exactly and I had a hard time getting the fabric tight. It was much easier when I pinned the batting and then pinned the fabric over it.


These are hanging over my family room window:



And these are in our bedroom. I bought an extra curtain panel and used it for the cornice. Our ceiling is vaulted in our bedroom and I was worried that using a print would make the wall appear smaller. I love how it turned out...it really elongates the room.


There are so many possibilities and because the fabric is pinned you can change it whenever you feel the need! You would never know that these are make out of foam. A great project for a snowy winter day!

**Update-The boring beige cornices have been updated. Check them out {HERE}.

No comments:

Post a Comment