This recipe comes courtesy of Pinterest.
It grabbed my attention for a few reasons:
- It was topped with bacon-EVERYTHING is better with bacon!!!
- You can make it in the crock pot-Huge time saver for the busy Mama.
- It's soup-I'm sure you've all heard enough about my everlasting love for soup.
- You don't have to peel the potatoes-Again, another time saver!
- I get to use my immersion blender-Cooking is much more fun if you get to use fun gadgets!
The original recipe comes from Mama Loves Food. She's got a lot of de-lish looking recipes so make sure you check out her blog! It makes a TON of soup so next time I'll cut the recipe in half and still have enough for left overs!
- 2 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes (approximately 5 medium potatoes), NOT peeled, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 pound of bacon cooked until crispy and delicious and then crumbled
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 cups of corn kernels, I used frozen corn
- 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups half & half
- Put 1/2 the bacon (save the other half for garnish) and all the other ingredients EXCEPT the half & half into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 11 hours or high for 6 hours
- Blend 1/2 the soup with your immersion blender (or in small batches with your standing blender)
- Add the half and half and continue cooking, uncovered, for 15 minutes until heated through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with corn bread muffins and watch both disappear.