Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Cheeseburger Casserole

Every Sunday I go to the market and do the grocery shopping for the week. I get up REALLY early and get all my shopping done before the store gets crowded. While I really don't like getting up early on the weekend, I have come to enjoy the peacefulness of shopping in a practically empty store. Each Saturday night I make my list and ask the hubby and the girls what their pick for dinner is. Last Saturday NoJo replied, "Casserole!" Ok, what kind of casserole? "Tuna casserole!!!" My first response was gross, there is no way I'm going to make tuna casserole (I apologize if you like tuna casserole...it's just not one of my favorites). We decided to compromise and make a casserole that the whole family would enjoy. I remembered a recipe I had made from the Pillsbury website, Cheeseburger Casserole, and we decided we'd try it.

To put it mildly it was a HUGE family hit!!! There was not one bite left. NoJo had 3 huge servings and probably would have had more if there was more to be had. It was really quick to make and went perfectly with french fries and fruit. There was an overwhelming agreement to add it to our regular meal rotation, although next time we need to add some veggies into the mix to make it a little bit healthier!
Ingredients
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (chicken or turkey would work too)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded American Cheese (6oz) - I just used sliced American Cheese from the deli) 
  • 1 can (8oz) Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations refrigerated seamless dough sheet
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Directions
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet cook beef and onion over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in pickles, water, ketchup, mustard and pepper.
  • Spoon beef mixture into 11 x 7 inch (2 quart) glass baking dish, sprinkle with cheese.
  • Unroll dough; press into 12 x 8 inch rectangle. Cut into 6 squares; place on top of cheese. Brush with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Making this for dinner tonight! Mmmm....it's in the oven now! :)

    ReplyDelete