Monday, November 5, 2012

Monumental Half-Full Circle

This past weekend I ran my first post-pregnancy race, The Indy Monumental Half. It was cold, damp and started to rain at towards then end, but I was really pleased with my performance. Three years ago my running partner Traci ran the Monumental for her very first half marathon. I ran it with her, keeping her mind off how far we had to go and encouraging her along the way. This year it was Traci's turn to be the cheerleader! She did a great job and really kept me motivated. Around mile 5 I was feeling tired and drained, my back was hurting and I really didn't think I could run the rest of the way. I asked her to distract me by helping me plan my meals for the week. We started discussing our favorite recipes and before I knew it we were at mile 8! The last 5 miles actually flew by. Around mile 12 we were passed by the leading three men of the FULL MARATHON! It happened to us the first year we ran it too. It is so amazing that someone ran twice as far was we did, twice as fast! I also partook in my favorite post-race ritual, a huge double cheeseburger from Five Guys, a cold beer and a long nap! This race took a lot out of me and I was so lucky that the hubby took charge of the little ones so I could recover! 

I had two goals, run the entire race and finish under 2:30. Happily I achieved both goals-whoo hoo!

My stats:
Overall time-2:21:19 (time includes one potty break)
Pace-10:46
Overall Place-3440/4985
Age Group-312/468

Certainly not by best race from a time perspective, but I felt strong, ran the whole way and had a great time. I'm so lucky to have my Bestie/Running Partner Traci! We make a great team!!!
Normally I end my running season in November, but since I got a late start this year the hubby and I added a half in December. It's called The Santa Hustle and I'm so excited! You get a Santa hat, beard and your shirt looks just like Santa's (you know how much I love my swag!!!), they even play Christmas music along the race route. It sounds like the perfect way to end my (short) running season!

No comments:

Post a Comment